Historic Coastal Towns Cottage & Lighthouse Tour: 10/6/18
Date Posted: Friday, September 14th, 2018
Mark your calendars for Saturday, October 6, to get a glimpse of early life in Fenwick Island, DE. Six historic cottages and the 1859 Fenwick Lighthouse will be open to the public from 10 a.m – 4:00 p.m., where tour goers can see remnants of Methodist camp meeting “ tents,” cottages that storms have relocated, the Lighthouse that pre-dates anything else, and summer abodes of early residents before electricity and running water. No Mc Mansions are included.
You’ll learn about the significance of the first stone of the Trans-Peninsular Survey located beside the Fenwick Lighthouse, and also become familiar with some of Fenwick’s earliest residents, including Doc Lawrence and Mary Ada Outten, Dr. Carl Rasmussen, Vance and Pearl Mc Cabe, John McKelvey, and the Halpern family from Seaford.
In the 1850’s and beyond, life was difficult for Fenwick families, who were isolated from people and supplies. It was a day’s journey to nearby towns for provisions and fellowship. Storms frequently changed the island boundaries and exit routes. The few year-round residents farmed the sandy soil, kept chickens, cows, and pigs, and fished the ocean and bay. Life was rugged and primitive by current standards. In the summer months, religious groups arrived to inhale the salt air and worship by the sea. But as the temperatures cooled, the visitors left, and Fenwick had very few early inhabitants.
Today, Fenwick Island is a vibrant community with small town ambiance.
Did you know?
- The Fenwick Island Lighthouse is actually two brick towers, not one.
- The Lighthouse served as the mail drop for summer residents during the first half of the twentieth century…. Remember, when people actually wrote letters!
- Fenwick began in Maryland, south of the lighthouse, due to higher ground. Fenwick’s first street, Lea Avenue, is 141st Street in Ocean City today.
- The Fenwick “ditch” was hand dug by colonists to keep their cows from straying off what was a peninsula. Afterwards Fenwick became an island.
- Fenwick’s first hotel opened in 1902.
- The Fenwick Lifesaving/Coast Guard Station was located where the State Park and Bathhouse are today.
- When Fenwick’s Coast Guard Station was decommissioned in 1936, folks bought and moved the buildings to lots in Fenwick to become some of the first rental cottages.
- For Fenwick’s first church service on the beach, a piano was carried over the dunes!
- Throughout the 20th century, most Fenwick Islanders remember never putting on shoes from June to September.
- The Town of Fenwick has a new town seal.
Limited tickets must be purchased in advance at Sea Shell City in Fenwick, at Ellen Rice Gallery in Ocean View, at Made By Hand in South Bethany, or on line at www.thequietresorts.com . Tickets are $25, and proceeds support the creation of a new Coastal Towns Museum at 40 West Ave. in Ocean View. The first 200 people to buy tickets receive a free copy of the “2018 Delaware Beach Book.”
While Fenwick Island homes are open this year, historic cottages in South Bethany will be featured in 2019 to support the developing Coastal Towns Museum.