Beach Patrol Staff
The Fenwick Island Beach Patrol consists of 28 lifeguards, two lieutenants, and a captain. The Town of Fenwick Island values the experience of its lifeguards. We encourage qualified guards to complete an application.
Minimum Qualifications to Become a Lifeguard:
- Minimum age requirement – 16 years old
- Current certification in CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- First aid training
- Personal health and fitness – adequate mental and physical abilities to perform the duties of an ocean lifeguard effectively
- Completion and passing grade on the physical tryout
- Completion and passing grades on the semaphore test and training regimen
- Doctor’s note verifying good health, vision and hearing
Each individual trying out for the Beach Patrol must pass the physical tryout. This includes several running and swimming events that test physical abilities and endurance. The tryout will consist of but not be limited to the following: a 1-mile run, a 500-meter swim in 10 minutes, a 150-yard soft sand sprint, run-swim-run (50, 50, 50) and a minimum 30 pushups in 1:15 seconds. Successful completion does not guarantee employment.
Contact Beach Patrol Captain, John “Ryk” Rykcazewski, for more information.