Beach Patrol Staff
The Fenwick Island Beach Patrol consists of 28 lifeguards, two lieutenants, and a captain. The Town of Fenwick Island values the experience of its lifeguards. We encourage qualified guards to complete a lifeguard application.
Minimum Qualifications to Become a Lifeguard:
- Minimum age requirement – 16 years old
- Personal health and fitness – adequate mental and physical abilities to perform the duties of an ocean lifeguard effectively
- Completion and passing grade on the physical tryout
- Completion and passing grades on the semaphore test and training regimen
- Completion of the Emergency Medical Response certification training
- Doctor’s note verifying good health, vision and hearing
Each individual trying out for the Beach Patrol must pass the physical tryout. This includes several running and swimming events that test physical abilities and endurance. The tryout will consist of but not be limited to the following: a timed 1-mile run, a 500-meter swim, a 150-yard soft sand sprint, and a timed minimum of 30 push-ups and 30 sit-ups. Successful completion does not guarantee employment.
Contact Beach Patrol Captain, John “Ryk” Rykcazewski, for more information.
Published on: March 15, 2016