Voter and Municipal Election Information
The Town of Fenwick Island Municipal Election will be held on August 6, 2022 (if there are candidates). Property owners can find voter and municipal election information within Chapter 13
of the Town of Fenwick Island Code.
All property owners must register to vote with the Town of Fenwick Island in order to be eligible to vote in Town elections.
To register, complete the Voter Registration Form and return it with the necessary proof of identity to the Town Clerk, 800 Coastal Highway, Fenwick Island, DE 19944.
Resident: Every natural person, who is a citizen of the United States, age 18 on or before the date of the election, a bona fide resident prior to the annual municipal election, and registered to vote 30 or more days prior to the annual municipal election, if provided by ordinance, shall have one vote.
Non-residents: Every property owner as of March 1 prior to the annual municipal election, whether a natural person or artificial entity, including but not limited to corporations, partnerships, trusts, and limited liability companies, and who is registered to vote, if provided by ordinance, shall have one vote. A natural person shall be a citizen of the United States and age 18 on or before the date of the election. An artificial entity shall be a domestic entity in the State of Delaware.
These provisions shall be construed in accordance with the principle of “one-person/entity, one vote.” Where a voter is entitled to vote by virtue of being both a resident and as an owner of real property, that voter shall be entitled to only one vote; where a voter is entitled to vote by ownership of two or more parcels of real property, that voter shall be entitled to only one vote.
Any legal entity, other than a natural person entitled to vote, must cast its vote by a duly executed and notarized power of attorney from the legal entity granting the authority to cast its vote to its designated attorney-in-fact. Such power of attorney shall be surrendered to the election officials who shall file the same in the office of the Town. Such power of attorney so filed shall constitute conclusive evidence of the right of said person to vote in the election on behalf of the legal entity granting the power. The person casting the ballot for such entity shall be age 18 on or before the date of the election and a citizen of the United States.
Criteria to Run for An Elected Office:
In order to be eligible to run for an elected office in The Town of Fenwick Island, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be registered to vote in The Town of Fenwick Island for at least one year prior to the election for which you seek to be nominated
- Be a natural person who is a citizen of the United States
- Be at least 21 years of age on or before the date of the election
- Be either a bonafide resident of the Town or a property owner in the Town
- You may not have been convicted of a felony
Candidate Filing Deadline:
The deadline to file to run for office is June 22, 2022 at 4:30 PM EST. A Notice of Candidates will be posted at Town Hall.
Candidate Forms Required by the Town:
The Town requires that you fill out and submit to the Town the Certification of Intention and Candidate Filing Form, or pick up a copy from the Town Clerk at Town Hall.
Candidate Form Required by the State:
In addition to the above, all petitioners must complete the required State of Delaware Certificate of Intention form at https://cfrs.elections.delaware.gov/. This form then needs to be printed, signed, and mailed to:
Office of the State Election Commissioner
Attention: Campaign Finance
905 S. Governors Avenue
Dover, DE 19904
Who may vote by absentee ballot?
- Any person qualified by provision of Town of Fenwick Island Charter for reasons authorized by Charter and who meets the following qualification:
- In public service to U.S. or Delaware
- A U.S. citizen temporarily residing outside the U.S.
- Or who is a spouse or dependent of citizen(when residing with/accompanying individual in service)
- Absent from U.S. or Delaware due to injury received while serving in Armed Forces
- Person in U.S. Armed Forces/Merchant Marines or associated groups (e.g. Red Cross, USO)
- Nature of work
- Includes providing care to parent/spouse/child (living at home)
- Sick or physically disabled
- Absent from municipality on vacation
- Due to tenets or teachings of religion
Absentee Request Form
- Document completed by prospective voter to request a ballot and is available from the Town Clerk or here: 2022 Absentee Request Application
- May be requested or provided in print form or electronically
- May be mailed or completed in person
- Must be received by the Town by 12 Noon on the day prior to election
Basic Absentee Procedures
Following Absentee Request Completion/Return
- Town confirms voter eligibility
- Town mails voter:
- Absentee ballot
- Instructions for Completing and Returning an Absentee Ballot
- Ballot Envelope
- The Town provides an in-office absentee drop box and,
- The Town offers an outside ballot drop box for dropping off ballots at any time
- The ballot box is securely located at Fenwick Island Police Station where it is camera monitored 24/7
- This location is handicapped accessible and on a covered porch for your convenience
- Voter marks ballot and inserts in Ballot Envelope
- Voter confirms that info on Ballot Envelope is correct
- Voter reads and signs self-administered oath
- Voter seals ballot envelope
- Voter mails, delivers, or causes Ballot Envelope to be delivered* to municipality
- Ballot must be received by time polls close
- Ballots received after time polls close shall NOT be counted
*”causes…to be delivered” (e.g., via Express Mail, FedEx, etc)
Not later than 60 days prior to the election, the Mayor shall appoint, with the concurrence of the Town Council, a Board of Elections consisting of an inspector and two judges who shall be qualified voters in the Town and who shall not be an elected official or an immediate family member of an elected official. The term of the Board of Elections shall be one year.
2022 Board of Elections
Lynn Andrews (Inspector)