Building Official (Code Enforcement and Building Dept.)
- Enforces the Town’s zoning, building, subdivision, floodplain, coastal zone, and sediment and erosion control regulations.
- Accepts applications for the various permits issued by the Town, reviews plans and approves permits for signs, construction and building alteration, including excavation and demolition operations in the floodplain.
- Provides code interpretation, field verification of code compliance, including notification of apparent code violations, and enforcement as required for non-compliance of Town Codes and regulations.
- Issues Contractor, Rental and Merchant business licenses.
- Implements FEMA’s Community Rating System for flood insurance purposes.
Days Construction is Prohibited in the Town of Fenwick Island:
- New Years Day (January 1st)
- Memorial Day
- 4th of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- All Sundays
Our building jurisdictional area consists of the Town limits only. If you are building outside of the Town’s jurisdiction, you will need to contact the Sussex County Building Inspection Office at (302) 855-7700.
Information Required to Obtain a Building Permit from Sussex County:
GO TO: https://www.sussexcountyde.gov/building-permits-and-licenses
Patricia Schuchman – Town Manager
Phone: (302) 539-3011 x 205
Erin Ellinger-Acting Building Official/Police Clerk
Phone: (302)539-2000 x 212
8:00AM – 4:30PM