Trash, Recyclables and Yard Waste
Trash is picked up every Monday (from October through April) and every Monday & Thursday (from May through September).
Recycling is picked up every other Thursday (from October through April) and every Thursday (from May through September).
Yard Waste is picked up the 3rd Tuesday of the month (from April through December).
Trash & Normal Refuse:
Town Code specifies the manner in which trash should be handled. Please note the following:
- Trash, rubbish and garbage should be placed in covered watertight containers NOT to exceed 32 gallons in size or 50 pounds in weight when filled
- All owners are responsible for removing any debris or rubbish which may accumulate on their property
- Trash and recycle containers may not be placed along the curb in front of the property earlier than noon preceding the pick up day
- All trash and recycle containers must be removed from the front of the property within 12 hours after it has been emptied by the collector
- There should not be any yard waste in with the trash on regular trash days.
- NOTE: ALL TRASH, RECYCLE OR YARD WASTE SHOULD BE READY FOR PICKUP NO LATER THAN 7 a.m. ON THE SCHEDULED DAYS.
Q: What can I recycle?
A: You can recycle: newspaper, brown paper bags, magazines/catalogs, telephone & soft cover books, junk mail/envelopes, paper, paperboard (cereal/tissue boxes), cardboard, glass bottles/jars, metal cans, #1 PET plastic containers, #2 HDPE plastic containers, #4 LDPE plastic containers, #5 polypropylene containers, and #7 mixed plastic containers
Q: What can I not recycle?
A: You cannot recycle: frozen food/refrigerated containers, food waste, waxed paper, styrofoam, motor oil, anti-freeze or any chemical containers, ceramic dishes and cups, scrap metal, window or door frames, window glass, mirrors, glass cookware, shredded paper, facial tissue, paper towels, plastic or paper drinking cups/lids/straws/utensils, pie pans, paint cans, lawn chairs, screens, clothing, propane tanks, diapers, scrap metal, or electronics.
The Town Curbside Recycling Program is offered to Town residents and property owners. Throughout the months of October to April, residential curbside pick up is every other Friday of the month. During the months of May through September, pickup is every Friday. NOTE: If you are not a resident or property owner in Incorporated Fenwick Island, you must contract with a private hauler to remove your recycling.
For more information, please review the Delaware Solid Waste Authority guide on how to recycle: How To Recycle Guide.
What is Yard Waste?
Disposal of yard waste is strictly controlled and defined as plant material that comes from lawn maintenance and other gardening and landscaping activities including:
- garden materials
- tree limbs up to 2″ in diameter
Containing Yard Waste:
Effective January 1, 2014, yard waste must be contained in paper (not plastic) bags (available at local hardware stores), homeowner supplied containers compatible with Hauler’s truck lifting mechanism, and bundles not to exceed four (4) feet in length. Bags and bundles must weigh less than fifty (50) pounds each. Bags, bundles, or containers containing material other than yard waste will not be collected. Do not place bundles/containers in your trash corral. Place all yard waste on the street in the Town right-of way.
Important! If your container/bundle contains any material other than yard waste or if it exceeds required length/weight, it will be rejected by the hauler.